Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Why Collin is Taking his Nap at 4 p.m.

I'm not sure I care if it makes it hard to put him to bed tonight. I need a break, and I don't mean a "go to the bathroom" kind of break. I mean an honest break for at least thirty minutes. I decided to surprise Daddy by clearing out 75% of our yard and putting in the seeds in bought.


As my Dad so kindly pointed out, "do you want to eat Cilantro you dog pissed on?" So, I took his suggestion and bought pots since my dog is less likely to pee on pots. Oh and folks, don't adjust your monitor, that is in fact, 75% of our yard, as you recall.

The project started with pulling up these random bulbs that are sprouting all over our yard. There were about 40 of them or so. I thought I could use my little garden trowel to pull them out. It broke. The smallest bulb is pictured here. The largest one was about the size of Collin's head.



I don't like to point out when my mother in-law is wrong about anything because she's the best darn mother-in-law anyone could ask for and she's generally smart on all things plant and otherwise, but the agapanthas she was sure were growing in my yard, turned out, in fact, to be onions. This was determined by their sheer stink factor, the fact that they were onions and well, there's no mistaking an onion when you see and smell one.

Anyway, pots o' herbs about to grow here. And some pretty flowers in some other pots there, eh?

And, for good measure, I put some ground cover down that is not grass so it doesn't need water but it has flowers on it. The goal being total covering in oh, twenty years. I have a vision. It will be pretty eventually Ahhh, the desert. It's pretty "enough" now though, huh? It is better than before. Trust me.


So, now I'm filthy, can't move forgot to eat lunch and have sunburn. You're welcome, honey. No wonder you kept claiming you didn't have time to do this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the garden looks great Rachel. You did a really good job with it.