Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cooking Up Trouble

So, I found this recipe for homemade play-doh. I want Collin to look back on his childhood wistfully and remember me as totally cool, having done things like make homemade play-doh. When his wife brings home store-bought play-doh for their kids, I want him to say to her, "my mom made mine from scratch!" To which, she will roll her eyes and I will seem all the more special to my son and he will be reminded of how much I did, in fact, love him.

But, while our play-doh making experiment was totally fun, involving flour all over my kitchen floor and cream of tartar in his hair, I was a bit perplexed about the ingredient, Kool-aid. Apparently, as kids are apt to eat play-doh the writers of this recipe thought, what they hey, let's make it both visually appetizing and tasty to boot.

Since I don't normally encourage my child to eat the non-edible, toxic or not, I decided to leave the Kool-aid out. The play-doh still worked as play-doh and I was pleased at my Suzy-homemaker project. If only he were old enough to remember this joyous first of his life: homemade fun. I should write it down for him in his baby book and refer him back to it.

Alas, the making part was the only thing that lasted in the realm of fun. The only way Collin was interested in playing with his play-doh was eating it. Apparently, play-doh does not need to be either appetizingly colored, nor flavored to appeal to my child.

No comments: