Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lest You Think He's Neglected

We have a pretty good schedule around here on the weekends for homework.

Collin knows that he has to play by himself for a set amount of time (quietly). I set a timer, usually for about an hour or so, and then I come down and we do an activity together.



Usually, first thing in the morning, we make a list of what the activities he wants to do together on my breaks are. I make sure he picks activities that will take about an hour to an hour and a half, so he gets plenty of Mommy time and he doesn't feel neglected and I still get plenty of time to work on the weekend too.



It's pretty easy to work all week when he's at school, but logically, professors figure, eh, the weekend means you have "extra" time. Not so much when you are alone with a kid, right?

But, we make do. He has gotten pretty good at being patient.

Oh, and Slave 1?



In the end, when my Master's is all finished, I'll let you know if I'm more proud of completing that or building Slave 1. It was flipping hard. It took about 7 hours in total. Bryon made fun of me. His exact words, "well good, now you are as talented a Lego builder as a nine year-old."


I am often reluctant to let Collin play with it. It's just too special and every time he touches it, a piece falls off and a little piece of my soul dies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That lego project looks really really complicated. Congratulations on being able to put that together.